Mercedes Sprinter van owners choose their vehicles because of the impressive mix of power, reliability and fuel economy. If any of the sophisticated control systems on the vehicle are malfunctioning, you can have issues with starting, idling or driving your Sprinter. In many cases, these problems will get worse until the van won't start at all or you suffer a major failure that requires a serious overhaul to repair.
Recognizing Power Loss Issues
Knowing how to troubleshoot some common cause of your Sprinter van losing power allows you to contact a qualified Mercedes shop before they become major issues and have them fixed. Watch for power loss issues related to:
- Turbo lag: This is when there is a lag between the moment you start to accelerate and the moment the turbo kicks in to deliver full power, acceleration and pulling power.
- Loss of power: If there is a problem with your engine, your Sprinter can go into ‘limp home' mode — your engine control unit limits the power of your engine to avoid damage.
- Turbo failing to come on: In certain cases, your turbo may not come on at all, representing a significant reduction in engine power. Restarting your van may temporarily correct this.
You may also see issues related to idle speed/roughness, throttle responsiveness, fuel consumption and tailpipe emissions that are causing a loss of power.
Troubleshooting Your Problems
Once you've detected power loss problems, it's time to look at some common causes to understand what is going wrong. There are some points that you can look at under your hood to determine what is causing your power loss. Check out our list of troubleshooting points to consider:
- Check the condition of your air filter
- Verify that your air filter hose is well secured and not cracked or broken
- Verify that the Mass Air Sensor is properly connected
- Have someone rev the engine while you listen closely for turbocharger whine
- Look for evidence of soot or strong fuel odors at your tailpipe
These points can help you understand why your Sprinter van is suffering power loss and make it easier to repair. We encourage Mercedes van customers in the Chicago area to contact our experienced team here at Burdi Motorworks at the first sign of power loss. We can diagnose the issues and make all the necessary repairs to get your Sprinter back on the road. You need your van to keep your business moving, so let us help you ensure your van is reliable and delivering full power when you need it.
Make an Appointment Today