When your Mercedes transmission is running properly, it delivers power seamlessly and effortlessly in all driving conditions. As with all transmissions, however, problems can creep up that make driving difficult or impossible. At the first sign of transmission problems, it's important to visit a qualified shop for inspection, diagnosis and service to avoid breaking down or further damaging your transmission.
Common Problems to Watch out For
Most of these possible transmission problems aren't unique to Mercedes. All automatic and manual transmission can suffer from these issues. In the case of Mercedes, however, the highly sophisticated and advanced engineering that goes into their transmissions means that hundreds of parts work together to transfer the power from the engine to your drive wheels. A problem with any number of these components can cause the following transmission problems:
- Clunking noises: Abnormal noises usually mean that there is significant wear on the mechanical components of your transmission. Continued driving can cause your transmission to fail completely.
- Rough shifting: A Mercedes transmission is designed to shift smoothly, so rough shifting indicates a problem, often due to issues with shift cables, clutch linkages or hydraulic fluid level.
- Clutch dragging: This is a condition where the clutch doesn't fully disengage from the transmission while driving. Worn clutch springs and mechanisms are usually the culprit.
- Transmission slippage: A slipping transmission is a serious problem as it can result in power and acceleration loss in traffic, and this issue will only get worse with time.
- Overheating: The smell of overheated hydraulic fluid is quite strong and is a sign that your transmission is reaching unsafe operating temperatures. In some cases, the fluid level simply needs to be topped off.
There are no “small” transmission problems. All issues with your Mercedes transmission, manual or automatic, need to be addressed. Continuing to drive with a problematic transmission can quickly cause major problems that may result in a costly transmission rebuild or replacement.
Finding a Solution
Modern automotive transmissions are extremely complex and require the attention of qualified technicians. Our experienced team here at Burdi Motorworks are factory trained on Mercedes vehicles and know how to diagnose and repair your Mercedes transmission properly. You can trust your Mercedes car, van or SUV to us when you detect transmission problems. We will determine what is wrong and fix it with Mercedes-approved parts to get you back on the road quickly.
If you have detected any problems with your transmission or simply want a checkup to verify everything is running properly, contact us at Burdi Motorworks today to set up your service appointment. We have been servicing Mercedes products in the Chicago area since 1991 and have the experience and knowledge to handle all of your transmission issues.