Many modern Mercedes Benz models are equipped with Distronic Plus, which is Mercedes' foray into the world of autonomous driving. While Distronic Plus won't fully drive your car for you, it uses cameras and sensors coupled with your cruise control system to provide a level of autonomous driving in stop-and-go traffic. It also detects when a vehicle in front of you is braking and can apply the brakes to get you stopped safely.
Every iteration of Distronic Plus improves on the previous version — in fact, the system is already changing the way many people drive and commute. As with all technologies, there are certain pros and cons:
- Can provide braking and acceleration in stop-and-go traffic.
- The system detects when an emergency stop is required.
- Distronic Plus ‘locks' onto vehicles in front of you, keeping you at a safe distance.
- GPS data is used to help predict corners and traffic slowdowns.
- Your vehicle will move at steadier speeds, improving fuel economy and helping traffic flow better.
- Some drivers may feel “disconnected” or lose focus on driving.
- Braking can be harder than expected.
- It can be tempting to become complacent and forget to steer, brake and accelerate when necessary.
- Distronic Plus relies on sensors, cameras and algorithms that can eventually fail.
To ensure that the Distronic Plus system in your Mercedes Benz vehicle is working properly, you need to watch for warning signs that something is wrong. Most errors will be displayed through your dash warning system, but always be on the lookout for signs that your vehicle isn't functioning properly in autonomous cruise control mode.
Common Symptoms of Distronic Plus Problems
While customers are generally very satisfied with the Distronic Plus system, there are some problems that can creep up. If your dash warning system indicates that your Distronic Plus isn't working or shows an error with one of the specific sub-systems (crash avoidance, blind spot detection, limited pre-safe functions, etc.), you could have a problem due to:
- A dirty or scratched camera lens
- Dirty or faulty sensors
- Incorrect tire sizes or pressures
- Wheel speed sensor error
- Battery, alternator or electrical system issues
- Interference from outside sources (signals, electrical fields, etc.)
At Burdi Motorworks, we've trained all of our technicians to diagnose and repair Mercedes Distronic Plus issues and can get your car running properly again. We're proud to be a Chicago-area leader in Mercedes Benz repair, maintenance and service and have the knowledge and experience to handle the advanced technology in your vehicle.
Contact us today to schedule a service appointment and trust us to diagnose and repair your Distronic Plus so you can get back to enjoying the relaxed comfort your Mercedes autonomous cruise control system offers.